Sleep Disorders can cause a multitude of ailments
Illuminant Being and Wellness offers natural remedies to help you achieve a better night’s sleep.
Sleep restores health and well-being to your body. Not only is it important that an individual gets the proper quantity of sleep; but it is equally important that an individual gets the proper quality (depth) of sleep.
If you are not getting the proper quantity or quality of sleep; not only will you experience fatigue, you may also experience anxiety, depression, cognitive/memory dysfunction, endocrine system impairment, immune system impairment. Treatment with Low Level Light Therapy provides natural remedies that can help you achieve the proper quantity and quality of sleep.
What happens during sleep?
During sleep your body performs many vital functions which are necessary for your health and well-being. These functions include:
- Protein Synthesis
- Cellular Repair
- Growth Hormone Secretion
- Memory Consolidation
- Motor Skill Learning
- Hormone Regulation, including the hormones ghrelin and leptin, which regulate hunger and satiety
- With regard to sleep quantity: adults require, on average, 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- With regard to sleep quality: in order to obtain the full benefits of sleep, it is important to achieve the proper mixture of “sleep categories”. Sleep is roughly divided into two categories: Non-REM (Rapid-Eye-Movement) Sleep and REM Sleep. During Non-REM sleep, body metabolism slows down as sleep gets deeper and deeper. There is a reduction in the body’s physiological activities. Brain waves slow down as sleep deepens. Breathing and heart rate slow down, blood pressure drops, body temperature decreases. As the brain experiences its deepest levels of sleep, the body becomes immobilized.
Conversely, during REM sleep brain activity intensifies, and most dreams occur during this sleep stage. Breathing becomes rapid and shallow, heart rate and blood pressure rise, limb muscles become temporarily paralyzed while the eye muscles move rapidly in various directions. The proper mixture of Non-REM and REM sleep allows the body to achieve maximum health restoration and concomitantly enhances brain functions such as memory, learning, mood stabilization, and concentration.
Types of Sleep Disorders That Can Benefit From Natural Remedies:
- Insomnia: difficulty falling asleep and/or remaining asleep for a suitable period of time
- Narcolepsy: characterized by the sudden and overwhelming need for deep sleep
- Sleep Apnea: characterized by episodes of interrupted breathing and diminished oxygenation during sleep
- Restless Leg Syndrome: uncomfortable urge to move one’s legs while an individual is at rest, often as the individual is trying to fall to sleep. Getting up to move diminishes the urge and discomfort. This condition is frequently associated with sleep apnea.
- Parasomnias: characterized by abnormal nocturnal behaviours, experiences, and autonomic responses which come from sleep. Includes sleepwalking, sleep terrors, sleep enuresis (loss of bladder control while asleep), and REM sleep behaviour disorder (in which the individual physically enacts his dreams).
Illuminant Being and Wellness can help you achieve a better night’s sleep. Firstly, we will conduct a thorough history and physical examination aimed at identifying your specific causes and associated medical conditions which lead to your specific type of sleep deficit. Secondly, by designing a treatment program which is tailored to your specific condition, we will utilize Low Level Light Therapy to improve the quantity and quality of your sleep. Please feel free to call Dr. Candice Perkins if you have any questions about how Low Level Light Therapy may improve the quantity and quality of your sleep, and the quality of your life.
Symptoms and Associated Long-Term Effects of Sleep Deprivation:
- Excessive Sleepiness and Fatigue
- Difficulty with Concentration
- Impaired Memory Retention
- Learning Impairment
- Impaired Judgement
- Mood Swings: including Depression and Mania
- Impaired Immune Function
- High Blood Pressure
- Weight Gain and Obesity
- Increased Risk for Diabetes and Heart Disease/Stroke and Cancer
- Risk of Early Death
Other Symptoms that Laser Therapy may Alleviate
Migraines and Low Level Light Therapy Migraines are a Complex Neural-Vascular Syndrome and More than Just a Headache Migraine is more than just a headache; it is a complex neural-vascular pain syndrome (this means that the nervous system, as well as the...
Low Level Light Therapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Relief for CFS and the symptoms associated. As a physician, I have found that one of the most common symptoms reported to me by my patients is fatigue. Fatigue is associated with many underlying...
Manage Neuropathy & Debilitating Nerve Pain With Low Level Light Therapy There's an all natural, holistic solution to painful burning and electrical shock-like sensations from Neuropathy Neuropathy can intrude into one’s life and cause pain at every...
Laser Therapy Provides Natural Remedies for Allergies and Asthma Help your quality of life by reducing or removing your allergy and asthma symptoms Allergy, which is caused by an over-reaction of the immune system to a substance which is harmless to most people, leads...
Sleep Disorder can cause a multitude of ailments Illuminant Being and Wellness can help you achieve a better night’s sleep. Sleep restores health and well-being to your body. Not only is it important that an individual gets the proper…
Do you suffer from joint disease? If you do, not only are you affected by pain at the site of the joint; but chances are your mobility and function are significantly impaired. There’s an answer.
Neck and back pain can be truly debilitating. Chances are that if you are reading this, you have been dealing with pain which is significantly impacting the quality of your life. There is good news.